CHOICES is licensed by the Philippine Intercountry Adoption Authority (ICAB) to facilitate the adoption of Filipino children to BC.
Canada and the Philippines have both signed the Hague Convention of 29 May 1993 on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention) which protects children and their families against the risks of illegal, irregular, premature or ill-prepared adoptions abroad.
This Program is open to residents of other provinces (Ontario and Quebec residents are required to work with an agency in their province).
For those interested in adopting a relative from the Philippines, please review the information under “Relative Adoptions”.
- Regular Program
- Applicants must be no more than 45 years older than the proposed child (includes waiting time for proposal).
- Must be practicing some faith (it doesn’t have to be Christianity, but they need a letter from their pastor/minister etc.).
- BMI can’t be over 35.
- No history of an anxiety or depressive disorder.
- No life threatening illnesses.
- Child are typically in the range of 9 months and up. Most are around 2-4 years old.
- Families usually wait 2 ½- 3 years for a proposal.
- Children may have a slight developmental delay.
- Thorough medical and social information is received with all the proposals.
- Special Home Finding Program
- Adoptive applicants should be at least 27 years old and at least 16 years older than the child to be adopted at the time of application. The maximum age gap between the child and prospective adoptive parents (particularly the female PAP) is 45 years.
- The Special Home Finding Program is opened to married heterosexual couples. The minimum length of marriage required for ICAB applicants is 3 years, or 1 year preceded by several years of common law relationship.
- Single applicants are accepted, but can only adopt children aged 9-15 years and sibling groups.
- PAPs with history of divorce: a maximum of 2 divorce histories will be accepted.
- Read more about “Who may adopt” here: http://www.icab.gov.ph/who-may-adopt/
- The children in this program may be: living with special needs, over the age of 9 years old, part of a sibling group of two or more, or a combination of these categories.
- Before adoption the children reside in orphanage care. Both girls and boys need homes in the Philippines and applicants are asked to be open to a child of either gender.
For more information on Special Home Finding Program, please review the information here.
- Relative Adoptions
Adoptive Applicants will submit a Mini-Application to ICAB through CHOICES to allow them to assess the case before moving forward with a full application.
ICAB works with the local Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) to asses a child’s eligibility for adoption. This will take approximately 12 months or longer to complete.
Please contact CHOICES for more information and to obtain a Mini-Application Form.
Once the Mini-Application is approved by ICAB, the adoptive family can submit an application to CHOICES to complete a home study.
More information on the adoption process for relative applicants can be found here: